We urge you to support the Turtleboy Sponsors by doing business with them. Without them none of this is possible: Wormtown Brewery, Union Tavern, Scavone Plumbing, Bennie’s Cafe, Craftech Restoration, JJM Insurance, Smokestack Urban Barbecue, Attorney Michael Erlich, H-S Trading Firearms, Smitty’s Tavern, Julio’s Liquors, HomeWarrantyReports.com, The Gun Parlor Range, 3B Auto, Attorney Anthony Salerno, O’Connor Insurance 24-7, Monster Movers, Firesafe Chimney Services, The Law Office Of Joseph J. Carigila, Skyhook Tree And Sons
Want to have your business advert seen by over 1.2 million people per month? Email us at [email protected] for more information, and check out our website about types of advertising we offer. Want to make money real fast? We will pay you cash if you bring us advertisers.
A lot of people have sent us this and this article from the Telegram and Gazette about their investigation of the puppy mill known as Laughlin Kennel in Oxford. These turtle riders basically assumed that this was just more of the Telegram copying Turtleboy, and normally you’d be right, but this is not one of those cases. Paula Owen at the Telegram has been on Laughlin Kennel and Elite Puppies for a couple of years now and she does a really good job with it. Laughlin Kennel is a terrible place run by terrible people and the more attention that is drawn to it the better because it needs to get shut down. The Telegram can be a valuable resource and partner, but too often they are covering up real stories. In this case they are doing the exact opposite and should be commended.
Here’s a couple new things that Paula Owen has revealed:
- The neighbor across the street, Kathleen Casavant, has lived there before the house was turned into a puppy mill. The previous neighbors raised pet German Shepherd show dogs, but never had more than eight at a time. When the Fink family moved in they enlarged the kennel, started breeding their own dogs, AND started to get truck deliveries in the middle of the night, full of barking puppies from the Midwest. She said the smells, noise, and crying from the dogs has made it nearly impossible for her family to sleep through the night.
- The town of Oxford has done nothing about it, despite the fact that it’s illegal. Town selectmen were appalled that over 100 dogs were kept there at a time, but ultimately took no action to shut them down
- The town clerk claims that state law prevents them from putting a limit on the number of dogs they can have on their property at one time. However, it turns out she doesn’t understand the law according to the DAR, and the town absolutely has the authority to set a limit. It’s just choosing not to out of sheer laziness and complicity. Make no doubt about it – the town of Oxford is 100% complicit for the horrifying things that are happening under their watch.
- The Finks no longer live there, and the majority of the employees are local teenagers, many of whom have reached out to Turtleboy to share their horror stories. Thus when the kennel closes at 5:00 PM, no one is there to deal with screaming and howling dogs who are often sick.
- One idiot neighbor embarrassed himself by saying this:
“It doesn’t bother me at all. Like it or not, they do a great business over there,” Mr. Thorton said. “Everyone says, ‘Puppy mill this. Puppy mill that,’ but they’ve got to come from somewhere. How else will everyone get a dog? Like any other business, nothing runs smoothly. I’m sure they are going to have sick dogs.” – Obviously this man is a moron.
- Laughlin gets its puppies from Justin and La Nae Jackson in Kansas. They are on the Human Society’s “worst puppy mill list” on an annual basis and have years of documented violations. Then those puppies are sent cross country to Oxford where some schmuck buys them only to find out the dog is about to die. This is what you get when you Google them:
- Michael Cahill, who ultimately has the authority to step in at the DAR, lied to the Telegram when he said this: “However, Mr. Cahill said he was not aware of the allegation that Laughlin staff was bringing breeding dogs from the kennels into the pet store in the basement to have their puppies in whelping rooms. The kennel and pet store operations are supposed to be kept separate, he said.” We have an email returned from Mr. Cahill that shows he is well aware that Laughlin is bringing in breeding dogs from the kennels into the pet store in the basement.
- The Fink who owns Laughlin Kennel blatantly lied to the Telegram as well. Here’s a lie:
All puppies are confined in cages that are suitable for their size, and larger puppies are taken outside for exercise, he said. Every puppy is examined each week by a licensed veterinarian, he assured.
- This is what it looks like in the basement of Laughlin Kennel:
- Mr. Fink claims that, “The cages are designed so that nothing can fall from one cage to one below, as is required by regulation.” But as you can see from this irrefutable photographic evidence, clearly he is lying.
- This is what happens to the puppies after being confined to these cages without any exercise for months:
- The town of Oxford’s Animal Control Officer, Kelly Flynn, knew about the “whelping room” but did not inspect it because she didn’t want to “disturb the mothers giving birth.”
- Oxford Selectmen John Saad, is talking a big game. Let’s see if he follows through on this promise. Turtleboy is watching John:“If the town has the ability to set limits on the number of animals it is incumbent on the town to do something about that,” he said. “If a facility right now is overcrowded to the point it affects the health and well-being of an animal, I agree (with those who oppose it) something should be done. The town has the responsibility to do it and we should do something. On the surface, it doesn’t sound like the way you would want an animal to be treated.”
- One of the many customers who have filed complaints with the Attorney General and USDA, wrote this letter: “I also asked for the breeder’s name and was given the name of Brigete Rucker from Macon, Missouri,” the couple’s letter said. “This raised tremendous red flags for us because we discovered online that puppies transported from Macon, Missouri, to Massachusetts kennels, and Laughlin was one of them, the puppies were treated in a very abusive manner (cramped, nonventilated quarters, undernourished, lying in their own and others’ waste, low weight, to name a few allegations.) Please find enclosed the article on animal cruelty charges involving Laughlin Kennels.”
- The Attorney General’s office has done nothing about this, but they had plenty of time to investigate a blog in Worcester this summer for alleged hate speech.
- For more horror stories dead the dozens of comments in the Telegram’s article.
- Another woman alleges that in October she purchased a dog from Laughlin Kennel. The dog was sick and had a hernia and pneumonia, but Laughlin Kennel lied and told her the dog had been inspected by a vet and was healthy. When the dog started throwing up blood she brought it to the vet who put the dog on oxygen. Since the warranty for the dog (2 weeks) was almost up, the owner had two options – keep the dog on oxygen or bring it to Laughlin so their “vet” could look at it. If the did the latter the dog would die. Then they wouldn’t give her a refund after the dog died unless they brought the dead body to them for proof.
- Laughlin buys the puppies for $50, and sells them so over $1,000.
- A vet at the Westside Animal Clinic in Worcester says that you are better off trying to take care of a sick puppy you buy from Laughlin, because if you send it back and get a refund the dog will almost certainly die. It’s not cost effective for Laughlin to keep sick animals.
These people are pure evil. They are a disease and need to be eradicated. The town of Oxford is equally to blame for having the authority to do something about it and make a conscious, willful decision to allow them to keep doing business as usual. To make matters worse Laughlin Kennel continues to call Paula Owen and Turtleboy the liars on their Facebook page:
Laughlin is also claiming that hardly anyone is complaining about this joint:
Of course when you Google Laughlin Kennel you can see that there are literally hundreds of people who have similar stories. Like this one:
And this one:
And many more. They also don’t like some of the wording that Paula Owen used:
Yea, stupid words like “some customers” and “numerous complaints.” Those words are dumb.
But hey, when you’re making bank, you’ll pretty much say anything to keep your business afloat. It’s the reason why some scumbag like Webster’s Jennifer Gardner can afford to drive a car like this:
Anyway, we’re going to keep the pressure on these scumbags because we can’t get the sound of these crying dogs out of our heads:
You can run, and you can lie, but you cannot hide from Turtleboy. All we are armed with is the truth and our only weapon is facts.
We urge you to support the Turtleboy Sponsors by doing business with them. Without them none of this is possible. Click on any of them to check out their sites or Facebook pages.