If you like free speech and want to support what we’re doing, feel free to donate to the Turtle fund:
Hello Turtle Riders. As you know if you follow Turtleboy we are constantly getting censored and banned by Facebook for what are clearly not violations of their terms of service. Twitter has done the same, and trolls mass reported our blog to Google AdSense thousands of times, leading to demonitization. We can get by and survive, but we could really use your help. Please consider donating by hitting the PayPal button above if you’d like support free speech and what we do in the face of Silicon Valley censorship. Or just buy our award winning book about the dangers of censorship and rise of Turtleboy:
Last week Huffstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy announced he was shutting down their comments section, allegedly because the racist comments on the blogs were bad for business.
It was such a gutless move because:
- No rational person judges a website based on it’s comments section
- The racist comment from a troll was down voted so many times that it only reaffirmed that readers rejected racism.
- Silencing free speech for everyone because of a random troll or two is stupid.
- Most of his bloggers are so bad at what they do that the comments section is the only place where readers can let them know that. He makes bank off of of the comments section because tons of people click on the worst bloggers just so they can shit all over them in the comments.
- Now his followers will go to Huffstool’s Facebook page, Twitter, or Reddit to sound off on him. Except when they do so Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit will be making money instead of Huffstool itself. The longer a reader stays on a page the more ad impressions are serviced. The comments section was a gold mine for the business.
We will never, ever, ever do this no matter how big we get. That is our promise to turtle riders. The comments section is where your readers get to have their say. We say our part in the blogs. South Short Turtlegirl used to go at it with commenters and I put the kabosh on that. We get a much bigger platform with the blog itself, the least we can do is let people speak freely in the comments. Turtleboy is a community blog where all voices can be heard, trolls included. I’m not gonna shut down our entire comments section because of a couple trolls. That’s how you let the bad guys win.
But of course yesterday we found out it had absolutely nothing to do with racism when Portnoy announced he was opening the comments section back up. Except there was twist this time.
In order to comment you have to pay a monthly fee to be part of “Barstool Gold.”
Ya got that? You have to pay money for the privilege of commenting on his shitty website. And then they’ll have all your information so if you criticize one of his bloggers he can use his platform to humiliate you in front of millions of people.
It was obviously never about racism in the comments, and in reality it was just a ploy to get people to buy their stupid new premium plan, by making you pay for shit that used to be free. I used to go to Barstool a lot when I was younger like a lot of turtle riders, but it’s just not the same anymore. Nothing is edgy, everything is PC, and they’ve hired so many personalities that I’m supposed to give a shit about, but I just don’t. I’m not even tempted to go to Huffstool unless it’s to read the comments. The idea that I’d actually pay them money to read their milquetoast nonsense is laughable, but I suppose there will be plenty of 19 year old bros with Daddy’s Venmo account who will go for it because they don’t know any better.
As for everyone else who saw through this ploy, you are welcome on board the Turtle. It’s like they wanna drive people to Turtleboy. Please, please, don’t stop doing dub shit like this Prez.