The other day South Shore Turtlegirl published this blog about a guy named Shane Hoban who was advertised as one of Boston’s hottest up and coming comedians by 2 Twenty 2 Comedy Club where he was scheduled to perform on Friday.
It never ended up happening after these text messages he sent to a woman who rejected him were made public.
Then he attempted to gain sympathy by telling people he was relapsing after his actions got his show cancelled.
Anyway, I texted him on Thursday when I first saw this story offering him a chance to share his side of the story after SSTG blogged about him. But I never heard back from him until he called me today. Here’s a review of our 20 minutes conversation:
- I invited him to come on YouTube Live with me if he wants to issue a public apology and share his side of the story
- He told me the blog about him was causing people to call and harass his mother, even though she is not mentioned in the blog, we have no idea what her name is, we didn’t explain how to reach her, and that’s not SSTG’s style
- He accused me of being a teacher who lost my job for sexually assaulting students, demanded that the blog come down, and said that he would be calling his attorney if I don’t.
- I told him we could do this the easy way or the hard way. I informed him that I was the only person right now willing to do anything to help him restore what’s left of his reputation. I told him I would allow him to come on the show and suggested he issue this woman a real apology, and I would ask turtle riders to leave his mother out of it (even though none of you are actually harassing her). So he could take me up on my generous offer OR he could go the route where he pretends that him and I are on the same moral level by making up fairy tales about me sexually assaulting teenagers.
- He asked me why I’d let him do that, and said that he thinks I’d only do so to make myself look good. I told him that makes no sense and that the reason I do it is because I believe in redemption.
- He told me he needed a few days to think about it and he’d get back to me.
The ball is in his court. Right now I’m convinced he’s learned nothing and got exactly what he deserved. He’s way more concerned with having the blog removed and doesn’t seem to blame himself at all. So basically he’s thinking about himself instead of reflecting on how his behavior and shitty life choices got himself into this situation in the first place. He’s also using his mother as an excuse, even though our blog had nothing to do with that. If we took the blog down it would protect him, not her. So he’s not really thinking of her at all right now.
We will see what he decides to do, stay tuned.
P.S. No Live show tonight due to Bruins.
Please consider supporting local journalism by donating to the Turtle fund:
Hello Turtle Riders. As you know if you follow Turtleboy we are constantly getting censored and banned by Facebook for what are clearly not violations of their terms of service. Twitter has done the same, and trolls mass reported our blog to Google AdSense thousands of times, leading to demonitization. We can get by and survive, but we could really use your help. Please consider donating by hitting the PayPal button above if you’d like support free speech and what we do in the face of Silicon Valley censorship. Or just buy our award winning book about the dangers of censorship and rise of Turtleboy: